Eileen (above) is Swiss-German with a Taiwanese mother. She speaks good Chinese Mandarin. Leo is a chef and member of the surf club.
Eileen told me a little about the Cijin surf club.
1. Members can store their boards and can over-night at the clubhouse if they wish.
2. Surf board hire NT$500 per day.
3. Best surf is during the summer months. Kenting and Taidong (east coast) are good surf locations too.
4. Sharks are unknown at Cijin.
5. Height of surf waves is spoken about as follows:
Knee-high, waist-high (3 ft), chest-high, man-high (5 ft) – or, 1.5 man high (7 ft) etc. Typhoons generate the big waves, several times each year.
6. Leo guided us to the tourist street, to a vegetarian eating house next door to the very old temple just off the busy street packed with weekend visitors. The food he ordered was delicious and inexpensive. Locals mostly at this place. (The menu on the wall will show which restaurant it is).
The vegetarian eating house menu – click picture to enlarge. Coffee available at the corner shop nearby – opposite temple.